Kale, Broccoli, Chicken, and Apple Salad
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 to 2 Alaskan rockfish fillets, or any white, firm fish, skin removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 10 Alaskan spot prawns or large shrimp, peeled, cleaned, and tails removed, then cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño or serrano chile (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan over moderate heat, bring the grapefruit juice to a boil. Add the rockfish and prawns, reduce the heat to a simmer, and poach the fish and prawns until just tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer the fish and prawns to a non aluminum bowl, cover, and chill in the refrigerator up to 3 hours.
- In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, mango, cilantro, and onion. Add the lime, lemon, and orange juices, the jalapeño or serrano chile, if using, and salt. Add the chilled seafood, stir to combine, and taste to see if you want to add more salt, citrus, or spiciness. Serve immediately or chill up to 2 hours for later use.
Submitted to Michelle Obama's Let's Move Healthy Lunchtime Challenge by Rowan Bean, age 9 from Alaska.